Top Stories

Carmody takes over as director of OneStop

Linda Carmody admits to having mixed feelings about her recent promotion to director of Western Carolina University’s OneStop student services center.

On the one hand, Carmody, affectionately known across campus as “L.C.,” said she was excited about her continuation of working with students. But with that came a healthy dose of angst.

“I truly believe in the OneStop and its mission,” Carmody said. “I’m just very excited that I get to play a little bit different role in the next couple of years in where it goes, what it does and how it gets there.”

Carmody, who is approaching her 29th year at WCU, has worked in OneStop for 11 years. She replaced Mike Razdrh, who retired. She said working under Razdrh the last 11 years prepared her for the transition to director.

“I think one of the biggest things I learned was to always keep a sense of humor,” Carmody said. “(Razdrh) was just so good on our really intense, busy days to throw something out there to make us all laugh and relax a little bit. I think probably the other thing is to always listen beyond whatever the person in front of you is saying. They may be saying my classes got dropped, but it may be more a case of my dad just lost his job, my mom is in the hospital. I miss Mike. He is awesome.”

Among the services OneStop provides is receiving student payments, processing transcripts, assisting with financial aid and helping students navigate their way through the My Cat portal. Lately, the staff has been preparing for the switch from My Cat to myWCU. Carmody said myWCU will be more user-friendly.

While Carmody doesn’t expect to make any immediate changes at OneStop, she wants the office to undergo a comprehensive assessment.

“We really do need to do some assessment,” she said. “At that point, there may be some things that we want to change. For me, the biggest goal will be to put all of that in place.”

Prior to coming in OneStop, Carmody worked as the senior associate of student activities in A.K. Hinds University Center and for Residential Living as an area coordinator for Scott and Walker residence halls. She said her passion is working with students and seeing them mature into young adults.

“As you work with them and explain things to them, and as they move through their academic careers and get that background knowledge, it’s just fun to watch them grow and develop,” she said.

“When they leave, these adults are ready to take on the world. I think that’s the whole reason I’m in higher education. I absolutely love working with students. They make my day. I just think it’s a neat population.”

By Marlon W. Morgan

Categories | The Reporter

Photos | WCU News Services

Commencement 2017
Commencement 2017

Calendar

Africa! More Than A Continent