Top Stories

Calvert, Moshier selected for new Women’s Leadership in Action Program

Two Western Carolina University women – Kristin Calvert, head of content organization and management at Hunter Library, and Andrea Moshier, director of sponsored research in the Office of Research Administration – are the first individuals selected to participate in WCU’s new Women’s Leadership in Action Program.

Kristin Calvert

Kristin Calvert

The program is an intensive, year-long experience in which Calvert and Moshier will develop and implement a personal leadership plan, work with a mentor to refine leadership skills, and attend an immersive professional development conference.

The program is a joint effort between the university’s chief of staff, Melissa Canady Wargo, and provost, Alison Morrison-Shetlar, to encourage and prepare women faculty and staff to step into leadership roles. One faculty member and one staff member will be chosen to participate in the program annually.

Calvert and Moshier were chosen for the program “from a highly competitive pool of well-qualified applicants,” Wargo said. Their activities during the coming year also will include developing a strong professional network through relationship building, making a presentation to campus on an aspect of women in leadership, and serving as program alumna in helping develop future programming or activities.

Calvert earned her bachelor’s degree in political science at the University of California-Berkeley and her master’s degree in library and information science at the University of Rhode Island. She has been a librarian and member of the WCU faculty since March 2011.

Calvert became head of her department at the library earlier this year. She said participation in the Women’s Leadership in Action Program will be an opportunity to challenge herself at a higher level. “My participation will push me to overcome some gaps in my skill set, to become more assertive and to build my self-confidence as a mentor and a manager to future leaders,” she said. “Everything I gain from this program will allow me to reinvest the time and effort with my colleagues and the university community.”

Andrea Moshier

Andrea Moshier

Moshier joined the WCU staff as a research compliance officer in 2012 and has been in her current position on an interim or permanent basis since April 2013. She earned her bachelor’s degree in international relations at Syracuse University and her master’s degree in public administration at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.

“My participation in the program will provide an opportunity for a more purposeful approach to leading my team to ensure that they are supported and professionally satisfied, and to the office to ensure that the strategic direction aligns with institutional priorities,” Moshier said. “I am enthused by the opportunity for mentorship and to engage more intentionally with the strong women leaders on our campus. I feel that the relationships developed across campus in this program will provide a depth to my development unattainable elsewhere.”

The Women’s Leadership in Action Program is one component of a new leadership development initiative designed for women at WCU. The second component, a general program of events, will be open to all women on campus, including students, faculty and staff. The schedule of events will be announced in the near future.

More information about the initiative is available by contacting Wargo or Morrison-Shetlar.

By Randall Holcombe

Categories | The Reporter

Photos | WCU News Services

Commencement 2017
Commencement 2017

Calendar

Africa! More Than A Continent